:: Sunday, December 11, 2005

Against the wind


When I was a kid, I had no ambition to go anywhere or do anything specific. When I was a teenager, I figured I had my whole life to find some ambition and go places.

In the words of Bob Seger, "wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then".

Perhaps if I had, I wouldn't have just finished packing my kids bags for the first leg tomorrow of their Big Adventure overseas without me, because if I had known then what I know now, at least I could have made an informed choice about the things I did and the places I went and my kids wouldn't, at 12 and 14, be going off overseas without me and doing things I never did and can no longer hope to do. Just one more shitty gag in the Great Cosmic Comedy Roadshow.

20/20 hindsight - the final kick in the groin when Shit Happens comes to visit and never goes home again.