:: Monday, October 31, 2005

Hallowed


Image hosted by Photobucket.com



Tonight is Samhain, or All Hallows Eve, an ancient and sacred night when the spirits of those who have gone before are close, the veil between this world and the next is at it's thinnest.

Of course, Halloween is more likely to conjure up images of goblins and skeletons and miniature Batmen roaming the streets in search of victims to take lollies and chocolates from, courtesy of the American bastardisation and commercialism of an ancient celebration and the custom of trick-or-treating.

Typical.

The streets here had kids roaming around in broad daylight dressed in all manner of garishly flammable and thoroughly unscary costume attire (Molotov cocktail, anyone) hitting up hapless householders who are sitting and enjoying their dinner and the television in peace.

My school buddy Ian and I dressed up for Halloween in 2000, he was Dracula and I put on all my Morticia gear and got Thing out of storage and we went to Poly for the day like that, just for giggles and shits (taking the piss is so much fun, after all). It was a hoot, these two 36 year olds dressing up, a bunch of tutors wearing black for the occasion and all these teens and young students aghast at the idea of going to school like that! Pitiful, humourless twats. We had a ball.



Ian used to work for Asswipe too, once upon a time. Come to think of it, I remember his wife moaning that Ian didn't get paid on time, either...

Anyway, back to modern day Halloween, I never could get past the strange irony of spending 364 days of the year teaching your kids not to accept lollies from strangers and one night slavishly encouraging them to do so.

This world is sooooo fucked up. Now, where did I leave my flamethrower...