
:: Tuesday, January 24, 2006
Stormy weather
Today would have been my 19th wedding anniversary. If I hadn't left him 9 years ago. But like our marriage, the weather today has been pretty stormy - high winds and heavy rain. Ads and I went off to the beach tonight (the only time worth going to the beach is when it's really stormy) and took some pics.
Prepared to be bored, or exhilarated, or something.
When I was a little kid Moturiki Island was the home of Marineland. A guy called Sorrenson ran it and when it closed down, Mum bought some of the big cages and the birds and stuff that were being sold off. I especially remember moving this stuff at 15 or so, newly licensed and driving the Escort across the sand bridge with an incoming tide not far away and Reg (about to follow me in the truck) telling me "for God's sake don't slow down and get stuck in the sand, the tide's coming in". I also remember being shit scared that I was indeed getting bogged down and stuck in the sand because it was so thick and dry.
We didn't get stuck.
After Marineland was gone, someone poured a whole heap of $$ into the Island and changed its name to Leisure Island. You know, dumb swimming pools and water slides and shit. After that went broke, the island reverted to what it is today; a big chunk of rock attached to and guarding the main beach at the Mount with a blowhole at the seaward end.
Usually it looks like this

But it makes for spectacular viewing in a storm. Today, the waves were breaking out near the blowhole, but Rae and I saw the waves breaking far out beyond it during one really big blow 10 or 15 years ago. There were surfers out in it that day, today it was only swimmers.

Fucking weirdos, I mean c'mon; raging storms and thundering beaches are one thing, actually getting wet is going too far.

(The waves are breaking out near the Blowhole.)

(Rabbit Island adrift in a heavy sea)
Sorry about the picture quality, but how long since ya tried to hold the camera steady while taking pics facing into a 100km/h wind carrying rain, salt and sand as it's payload?
It's fun, eh!
Tomorrow I'll take pictures of Lake Oropi which was starting to fill this afternoon. That will be fun, too.

Prepared to be bored, or exhilarated, or something.
When I was a little kid Moturiki Island was the home of Marineland. A guy called Sorrenson ran it and when it closed down, Mum bought some of the big cages and the birds and stuff that were being sold off. I especially remember moving this stuff at 15 or so, newly licensed and driving the Escort across the sand bridge with an incoming tide not far away and Reg (about to follow me in the truck) telling me "for God's sake don't slow down and get stuck in the sand, the tide's coming in". I also remember being shit scared that I was indeed getting bogged down and stuck in the sand because it was so thick and dry.
We didn't get stuck.
After Marineland was gone, someone poured a whole heap of $$ into the Island and changed its name to Leisure Island. You know, dumb swimming pools and water slides and shit. After that went broke, the island reverted to what it is today; a big chunk of rock attached to and guarding the main beach at the Mount with a blowhole at the seaward end.
Usually it looks like this

But it makes for spectacular viewing in a storm. Today, the waves were breaking out near the blowhole, but Rae and I saw the waves breaking far out beyond it during one really big blow 10 or 15 years ago. There were surfers out in it that day, today it was only swimmers.

Fucking weirdos, I mean c'mon; raging storms and thundering beaches are one thing, actually getting wet is going too far.

(The waves are breaking out near the Blowhole.)

(Rabbit Island adrift in a heavy sea)
Sorry about the picture quality, but how long since ya tried to hold the camera steady while taking pics facing into a 100km/h wind carrying rain, salt and sand as it's payload?
It's fun, eh!
Tomorrow I'll take pictures of Lake Oropi which was starting to fill this afternoon. That will be fun, too.



