
:: Wednesday, February 01, 2006
Gone dotty
Remember all the fuss about the Y2K bug and when the sky was predicted to fall when the clocks turned over at Midnight on January 1 2000? Remember all the controversy about whether 2000 years was up then or a year later on January 1 2001? You remember, the "2000 years is 2000 years" brigade versus the "no such year as Year 0" bods?
Well at the moment I am reading The Second Messiah by Robert Lomas and Christopher Knight (yes Jamie, I'm well into it now lol) who I am sure are familiar to you after my ramblings about Uriel's Machine. Anyway, it got me thinking as I was reading that there's something really fucked up here.
We commonly count back to the birth of Christ as being the years AD - Anno Domini, meaning "In the Year of the Lord" and the years preceeding that as BC - "before Christ", right? 2AD; 1AD, 1BC; 2BC etc etc ad nauseum and people talk about something going "back to the year Dot" right? But to have a "before" and an "after" you have to have a "now" or a Dot and someone seems to have left it out of the calendar. So what happened to the year Dot (or "0")? What about all the people who were born in the year Dot? Did they suddenly cease to be or something cos like, they had that year pulled out from under them? And if AFTER the year Dot people called the preceeding years "BC" what did they use to date themselves when they were still "BC" and "AD" hadn't be written yet (cos Christ hadn't been born then, right?)?
I think I better go read some more, cos if the First Messiah caused all this shit, the Second Messiah can probably sort it out.
I'll keep you posted with what I find out.

Well at the moment I am reading The Second Messiah by Robert Lomas and Christopher Knight (yes Jamie, I'm well into it now lol) who I am sure are familiar to you after my ramblings about Uriel's Machine. Anyway, it got me thinking as I was reading that there's something really fucked up here.
We commonly count back to the birth of Christ as being the years AD - Anno Domini, meaning "In the Year of the Lord" and the years preceeding that as BC - "before Christ", right? 2AD; 1AD, 1BC; 2BC etc etc ad nauseum and people talk about something going "back to the year Dot" right? But to have a "before" and an "after" you have to have a "now" or a Dot and someone seems to have left it out of the calendar. So what happened to the year Dot (or "0")? What about all the people who were born in the year Dot? Did they suddenly cease to be or something cos like, they had that year pulled out from under them? And if AFTER the year Dot people called the preceeding years "BC" what did they use to date themselves when they were still "BC" and "AD" hadn't be written yet (cos Christ hadn't been born then, right?)?
I think I better go read some more, cos if the First Messiah caused all this shit, the Second Messiah can probably sort it out.
I'll keep you posted with what I find out.



