:: Monday, August 07, 2006

Going to Hell in a handcart


I think the world is screwed. Really. I'm not talking about the people dying in this war brewing in Lebanon, or anywhere else in the world for that matter. No, it's not Global Warming. It's not religious intolerance, either.

It's stupidity. Blatant stupidity and lack of common sense. It's the death knell for Darwin's Natural Selection and Spencer's Survival of the fittest, all rolled into one.

In this instance, it's braindead, 5-minute-modern-mothers like those who sit at home all day and trawl through online auctions on Trade Me for babies cots to have the listings removed because they may not fit the government-created guidelines for safe sleeping equipment for infants. Like this rant on the message boards by a disgruntled trader:

" Know it alls!!!!! Im not sure if I want to trade with these people!! I got 3 abusive questions about a cot I was selling as someone decided it was not up to code....which it is....and ranted and raved inciting others to do the same all over what they thought was a dodgy item...not really asking me to verify the details of why it was up to code...and TM withdrew with out asking me to verify !!!!! Man am I mad!!!!!!! First of all you cant measure any distance from a fliipin photo and the other issue I had covered in my blurb saying it was removable!!! Since when did we have the power to harrass each other without proof!?" (sic)




WTF is up with that? Whose bloody business was it anyway? Hell, if I was having a baby now, I'd buy whatever damned cot I wanted because, unlike these brain dead modern mothers, I CAN tell the difference between what's safe and not safe to do with my kids. H and Ads slept in a cot with knobs on the end and didn't have any problems at all, probably because, safety-wise, their clothing was appropriate for the job. There are lots of things I did for my kids simply because I, as their parent, could identify the potential consequence of a given situation and make sure they weren't put in danger. I don't need some drone to make rules to enforce an implied safety on my kids. But I'm not ever going to be a new parent again (thank you Lord) and it's a blessing that I won't have to dumb waaaaaaayyy down to become a socially correct moron able to be considered as raising my child the 'right' way. That's the right way for this year, it will all be different next year. Then they will probably completely outlaw cloth nappies in case someone's baby swallows a nappy pin that some BDMM left lying around one day when she ran out of disposables and didn't know how to use this foreign object.


Have we, as a society, become so stupid that our new mothers can't figure out for themselves that loose or strappy clothing, bibs and trailing ties are potentially dangerous to babies where protrusions exist? Do we really have to legislate for this? How come we, our mothers, our grandmothers, great-grandmothers could figure all this shit out for ourselves but our children's generation (and I suppose their children, too) have to have laws made to protect society from natural selection?

Like all kids, of any age and size to know better (if their parents had a single brain cell to bang around in their skull to start with) who walk out in front of vehicles, put wires in electric sockets, any one of a hundred other really stupid things that simple "common sense" will tell anyone with a clue are risky at best and lethal at worst, they should all be given the opportunity to remove their substandard genes from even the shallow end of the pool before they can contaminate our species any more than they already have.

Honestly, until you trawl the forums around the internet, you can't really get a feel for how low our species has sunk when it comes to personal care or responsibility or raising our kids to understand danger, risk and consequence which does well to prove the scientific studies reported a few years ago that said we have, as a species, passed our use-by date because we can no longer rely on our natural instincts to keep us (and our children) safe and have become weak, dependant and downright bloody stupid.

And there are a lot of VERY stupid women out there who have been allowed to procreate and thus raise a new generation of people just like themselves. Beware stupid bitches in packs.

Wrap us up in cotton wool
We're to thick to think ourselves
Let us live in LaLa Land
And frolic with the Elves
Enforce warning tags to keep us safe
And laws to fence the brink
Don't make us learn of consequence
And don't EVER let us think.


Check out the Darwin Awards for yourself and see how many ways stupid people have found to remove themselves from the gene pool.

Let's hope they didn't breed first.