
:: Friday, September 15, 2006
Howdy Pilgrim
On this day in 1620 (Gregorian Calendar), 386 years ago, Mayflower left Plymouth, England with 102 pilgrims on board.

I'm still not sure exactly where they were going, but where they ended up two months later was Cape Cod, a barren, wasteland lacking any form of civilisation; not a Cape Cod house in sight.
So they wandered off to Plymouth and built their own, a bit like this one.

Reg and I were discussing this stuff the other day; what makes people uproot themselves, risk their lives to sail to the other side of the world to start a new life, create a new colony? It certainly puts today's youngsters off on their Big OE into perspective - at least they can phone home if they run out of money. These guys probably didn't even have a phone.
I dunno, my sense of adventure isn't as well honed as our intrepid foremothers and fathers and I'm lazy. Lucky my foremothers weren't as lazy or I'd be living in the UK, thinking 92.6p was a shocking price to pay for petrol and having a good old whinge about it.
Listening to:Don't Pay the Ferryman - Chris De Burgh
Reading: the cat for signs of damage cos I think he's hurt himself.
"Don't pay the ferryman, until he gets you to the other side"


I'm still not sure exactly where they were going, but where they ended up two months later was Cape Cod, a barren, wasteland lacking any form of civilisation; not a Cape Cod house in sight.
So they wandered off to Plymouth and built their own, a bit like this one.

Reg and I were discussing this stuff the other day; what makes people uproot themselves, risk their lives to sail to the other side of the world to start a new life, create a new colony? It certainly puts today's youngsters off on their Big OE into perspective - at least they can phone home if they run out of money. These guys probably didn't even have a phone.
I dunno, my sense of adventure isn't as well honed as our intrepid foremothers and fathers and I'm lazy. Lucky my foremothers weren't as lazy or I'd be living in the UK, thinking 92.6p was a shocking price to pay for petrol and having a good old whinge about it.
Listening to:Don't Pay the Ferryman - Chris De Burgh
Reading: the cat for signs of damage cos I think he's hurt himself.
"Don't pay the ferryman, until he gets you to the other side"



