
:: Tuesday, January 18, 2005
Lushous Lipstyx
Adam is attempting to turn me into a lush.
It’s all come about since I bought a 6 pack of stubbies a week ago, and then didn’t drink them fast enough. I’m drinking my third one as I type. You can see I have a wee drinking problem. Anyway, it’s very simple. Adam wants me to drink my beer so that he can take the caps off. At least he has stopped opening them and drowning ants with it on the patio. Damn, that really pissed me off - bloody ants got drunk and I didn’t.
So, here I was figuratively rummaging through my music today and hooking out some oldies and I found an old fav from way back and it got me thinking about ancient history and some of the classical studies stuff I did at school way back in 6th form (arrghhhhh shit, can you say 25th anniversary thereof??) and the Greek and Roman myths and gods/goddesses and the parallels that exist in their mythical histoy. I dug that stuff.
For some reason (I know not why **rolls eyes **), I always liked the River Styx, one of the one-to-five Rivers of the Underworld, depending whether you eat pasta or olives. Now call me old fashioned, but there is something elementally final about a river that apparently bubbles with fire. Burn, baby, burn. The Greeks didn’t like Hades very much so they created their own Heaven and Hell within it. How very Christian of them. Elysian Fields for the good folk, Tantalus for everyone else. Neither of them sound quite me, if you know what I mean, like, all that lovely lush greenery and beauty and happiness everywhere would mean I gotta get off the computer to go out and enjoy it, right?… You say that like it’s a good thing…
Anyway, the song I was lsitening to that started all this thinking was Chris Be Burgh - Don’t Pay the Ferryman.
Don’t pay the ferryman,
Don’t even fix a price,
Don’t pay the ferryman,
Until he gets you to the other side
I went out for coffee today with one of the Dear John recipients. Not a word was said about the letter. By anyone.
I’m not paying for transportation in advance any more and if I want to buy a ferry, I’ll damn well pick which one I like :-)
Same goes for red race cars.
“Thinking without saying is no better than saying without thinking".
Both suck.

It’s all come about since I bought a 6 pack of stubbies a week ago, and then didn’t drink them fast enough. I’m drinking my third one as I type. You can see I have a wee drinking problem. Anyway, it’s very simple. Adam wants me to drink my beer so that he can take the caps off. At least he has stopped opening them and drowning ants with it on the patio. Damn, that really pissed me off - bloody ants got drunk and I didn’t.
So, here I was figuratively rummaging through my music today and hooking out some oldies and I found an old fav from way back and it got me thinking about ancient history and some of the classical studies stuff I did at school way back in 6th form (arrghhhhh shit, can you say 25th anniversary thereof??) and the Greek and Roman myths and gods/goddesses and the parallels that exist in their mythical histoy. I dug that stuff.
For some reason (I know not why **rolls eyes **), I always liked the River Styx, one of the one-to-five Rivers of the Underworld, depending whether you eat pasta or olives. Now call me old fashioned, but there is something elementally final about a river that apparently bubbles with fire. Burn, baby, burn. The Greeks didn’t like Hades very much so they created their own Heaven and Hell within it. How very Christian of them. Elysian Fields for the good folk, Tantalus for everyone else. Neither of them sound quite me, if you know what I mean, like, all that lovely lush greenery and beauty and happiness everywhere would mean I gotta get off the computer to go out and enjoy it, right?… You say that like it’s a good thing…
Anyway, the song I was lsitening to that started all this thinking was Chris Be Burgh - Don’t Pay the Ferryman.
Don’t pay the ferryman,
Don’t even fix a price,
Don’t pay the ferryman,
Until he gets you to the other side
I went out for coffee today with one of the Dear John recipients. Not a word was said about the letter. By anyone.
I’m not paying for transportation in advance any more and if I want to buy a ferry, I’ll damn well pick which one I like :-)
Same goes for red race cars.
“Thinking without saying is no better than saying without thinking".
Both suck.



