:: Sunday, July 17, 2005

A sermon from near The Mount


While we're on this Biblical theme, do you know Noah's lineage? He was a real bignote, Noah was. First Family stuff. I wonder if he begat the Kennedys, somewhere down the line?. Shona Laing wrote a cool song about them - Glad I'm Not A Kennedy. A very talented lady; I really like Shona Laing. Reg doesn't like her. Anyway, we all know the Kennedys, recognise them as the First Family of (American) First Families and authors of the book on political sex, drugs, hollywood actresses and gunmen. Oh, and money. Pots and pots of money. I read a book all about them once, it was very interesting. Reg doesn't like the Kennedys, either.

Anyway, back to Noah's paternity. I have it on very good authority that the family tree looks like this. OK, the internet told me. Their names and ages at death were:

Adam - 930
Seth - 920
Enos - 905
Cainan - 910
Mahalaleel - 895
Jared - 962
Enoch - never died
Methuselah - 969 (died the year of the Flood)
Lamech - 777
Noah

That's some kinda name dropping, huh.

In 1947 were discovered the first of the Dead Sea Scrolls. One of the texts found between 1947 and 1956 was the Book of Enoch, one of the apocryphal lost books of the Bible, if the Church is to be believed. And the Book of Enoch (as well as the Flood) features prominently in the writings of Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas in their book, Uriel's Machine.

And so we come right round in a drunken circle to flooding. Which is what they are having in Auckland and the Coromandel tonight with the thunder, lightning and torrential downpours keeping most people inside and out of the wet. I'm hoping it will get here and give us a cool lightshow. I might even get some video footage like that last lot I posted.

In the meantime, I'm

Reading: A shit-hot novel about British fighter pilots in WWII
Listening to: Christy Moore

The Mount. It's raining here, too.



Have you noticed how I do at least try to curb the impulse to constantly jump laterally from the supposed topic?