:: Thursday, August 10, 2006

Aging gracefully by numbers


I love the Internet. You can find out anything you want.

Flattie often posts tributary homage to the musicians of the Hippy Generation and it's almost always about bands and performers who were at their peak at the very beginning of my musical attention in a household that listened to Tom Jones, with a mother who hated the Beatles and a father who listened to Johnny Cash. And of course the youth of the 60s who followed these aforementioned Hippy bands are Baby Boomers. Now, if you visit that link there, you'll end up at Wikipedia which is one of the foremost repositories for potentially rare and genuine information that can be found on the Net. And that gives them some cred.

Potentially.

When you read that link, you can find out exactly what a Baby Boomer (BB) is. According to Wiki, a BB is someone born between 1946 and 1964. So that makes me the pimple on the boil on the ass end of the BB generation, being born one year and 4 weeks before the end of it. Unless you prescribe to the other theory Wiki reports, that the cutoff was 1963 to let the clever babies of 1964 be something else.

But when you read down a bit further, you see that those born from 1945 to 1957 are the BB and those born between 1958 and 1963 are actually Shadow Boomers (SB). So I'm BBSB. Then they muddy the water again a bit further down and start to confuse things a little. But wait, when you read the side bar, you see that I am also a Generation Jones (GJ), a Baby Buster (BB2) and a Generation-X (GX). Now I'm BBSBGJBB2GX and I think I'd make a couple of bloody good number plates. Or an almost acceptable password. Yeah, because every time I typed it in somewhere I'd be reinforcing what a multi-generational mutt I really am. Maybe I should cruise over to the plates site and get a new plate - BBGENX. Then I'll always know exactly what I am.

This is what it would look like...


Cool, eh!

Besides, BITCH and B1TCH are unavailable.

They've simplified things for the kids; so far they are only Culture Wars (CW) and Generation-Y (GY). They are just CWGY. It's important to have a classification, even if some nameless, faceless entity provides it. [/end dripping sarcasm]

PS - I feel it entirely appropriate that a Generation-X bred a couple of Generation-Y. Now I'm off for some ZZs

"I feel like just another
Spoke in a great big wheel
Like a tiny blade of grass
In a great big field" - Bob Seger.


Adam has just walked past, having a dream about Heather, a dog, a man with a gun and Trade me. I think he has put an auction up for a contract on her; I wouldn't blame him some days. Or maybe he's just excited about his BB gun that is due in the post tomorrow.

Oh shit.