:: Tuesday, August 08, 2006

A Night at the Opera


You thought this post was about Queen, didn't you. Well it's not. It's about a browser.

Now, you might realise that I'm a dedicated FireFox fan - for lots of reasons, mainly cos it's faster, more secure, has some really cool extensions and best of all, it has nothing to do with Microsoft.

But there is a new contender for the title of Morticia's favourite browser and its name is Opera. Not so many years ago, Opera was as big a piece of crap as Microsoft from the perspective of a web developer anyway, but in the intervening time they have seriously gathered their excrement unto itself and now have a flash, fast browser with loads of cool shit to download and use and one which I have installed just because I have to check cross-browser compatibility when making the really cool stuff I make.

Yes, it's all about Widgets. Widgets used to be labels applied to things of an unknown or undefined nature; now the word also means an interactive GUI component. And what a lot of interacting you, dear and gentle reader, can do.

Like what? I hear you ask... well let's see... yes you did, I heard you

Ever wanted to draw 3D shapes but didn't have a tool for it?


What about a round of Tetris on top of your surfing


or watching the Planets revolve is fun (you can even sing the Galaxy Song, your Widget won't mind)


Chronic doodler?


Need to know all about a website? Bradford reckons he knows.


Needed a colour picker urgently?


Got time for a Garfield fetish? (Careful, you can get arrested for that)


It's all right there, thousands of them, inside your Opera browser and just waiting for you to install it. It's only a 4.6MB download.

You can even translate your Tui advert into French (that one's just for you, James!!)



Ya know you gotta have it, it'll sooo boost your productivity eh...

"ouais, bien"

;0)