:: Thursday, April 07, 2005

Pretty ugly


"I never saw an ugly thing in my life: for let the form of an object be what it may, -- light, shade, and perspective will always make it beautiful".
John Constable (1776-1837) - Painter

What is ugly? What makes us think something is ugly? How much of our perception is based on an unconscious comparison with things, memories, doubts inside ourselves?

The first time I saw Nushie, I thought "That's the FUGLIEST dog I have ever seen". Of course, I didn't say that out loud in case Debbie was offended. It was the first time I had met her as well. You should really need to wait for the second meeting before you insult someone.

Or their dog :-D

But I didn't know Nushie then and I was looking at her with eyes expecting to see a long pointy face, smooth skin, a coat that wasn't a few sizes too big. You know, something resembling a dog.

And instead, I saw this:


And everyone thinks she is ugly, when they first meet her.

But what's ugly about it?

The soft, velvet muzzle? The tidy, compact ears? Softly folded wrinkles around her eyes that crinkle when she smiles? Or the highly defined and very symmetrical folds across her head? Is it the exquisite palette of colours her coat is comprised of?

Ok, so the pic of the lazy Fatima a few nights ago showed a whole different wrinkled face, but that's Debs fault for mating a girl so fine as Nushie with a coarse, arrogant Australian, all dick and no brains.

Reg calls Fatima "Mr Magoo" because she is so jowly and gormless. And she makes some horrible noises, awake and asleep. They aren't very pretty, I must say, but then, neither is the smell that emanates from the other end at regular intervals.

Now that IS ugly.

In the case of perceived beauty, I don't think it's the individual that is ugly, more the inside of the person viewing it. In other words, if you are looking for ugly, you will definitely find it.

There are very few ugly actresses out in good old Hollywood. Unless you count Phyllis Diller. Phyllis wasn't stupid enough to try to be something she wasn't, ie a beautiful woman, instead she parodied herself by accentuating the features that many women would have sold themselves to be able to remove. Celebrity allowed her to be who she wanted to be and gave her the money to do what she wanted to do. It allowed her to let her light shine out. And as it did, you forgot for a while that she wasn't supposed to be a beautiful woman after all.



She was, IS much more than that (cos she ain't dead yet).

I reckon they modelled ALF on a 'pei. Seriously, give Nush a few more muzzle wrinkles and a fringe, turn her ears into pointy ones and you got this, Gordon Shumway.

From Melmac:



Even the colour is almost right. Bugger me.

"Most children threaten at times to run away from home. This is the only thing that keeps some parents going".
Phyllis Diller


PS! I stumbled across THIS site. Figure out beauty for yourself.