:: Thursday, July 21, 2005

In my drawers


I have some very exciting things in my drawers.

Most of it is stuff like software and library cards, hard drives and pens and screwdrivers and old polytech ID cards and shit like that. But I also have this

Toy revolver

My father's aunt gave two of these (not a matching pair) to him when her husband died. At the moment, this is the only one I can find. Adam likes them too, you see.

Funny that.

I've had a productive day today. I have this old IBM P166 PC in the front office; it used to be the kids games machine and before that it was my linux box (and the kids hooked right into linux games). Then I scalped the hard drive out of it (and the CDROM and the floppy drive) and left it sitting for 3 years with no cover on, gathering dust and junk and bits of hardware in it and on it like some forgotten wounded soldier. But today I looked at it for the millionth time and decided to either make it go or strip it and throw it in the rubbish.

I grabbed the vacuum cleaner and an old toothbrush and set to work on the dining table, relentlessly removing bits and scrubbing the shit out of them and the motherboard, then sucking up the crap until at last you could actually see what colour was under there. Then I threw an old hard drive in, nicked the kids CDROM and dug out a floppy drive and put it up on the kids desk and plugged it in.

And it fucking went. Just like that.

I formatted the drive, loaded up Windows 98 and while I was waiting hunted through the drawers full of bits and pieces in there, found another 64 meg of RAM and after it was all installed shoved the RAM in (hoping it was somwhere close to compatible) and rebooted. Off it went like a scalded cat with its 144 meg and loaded as fast as the kids PIII 800 does and was browsing the network in a flash.

Now the kids have a second games machine for all their old DOS and Windows games and I might get some peace and quiet - if I can find somewhere to set it up that a network cable can reach, that is.

It's full moon out there tonight, and a beautiful moon it is too.

mooooon

The sky is clear, no wind, no traffic noise out there, just the smell of woodfires and this beautiful big orb hanging in the sky.

Luverly :-)

LATE BREAKING NEWS:

Those fornicating motherless rock-hatched bastards are at it again in London. The TV is reporting possible explosions, detonations and nail bombs involving trains and a bus.

I can think of a few uses for nails, if that's the case.

Crucifixion can be a good thing.