:: Saturday, April 22, 2006

Reprise repeated


I sort of fixed it. The snotty XP install I mean. I uninstalled and reinstalled all the chipset drivers, including the graphics ones even though no hardware issues were reporting and now, while I wouldn't say it was rapid, it is a lot better.

So we're back to the shitty motherboard again...

I should have kept the new kids box for me and given them this - H moans about the speed anyway, no matter how fast her gear is. I was thinking tonight that I might set up the now redundant PII 266 box as a linux fileserver under my desk. A big hard drive in there would save shitloads of space on the desktops and set up the PII 300 box as a small games machine on Windows 98. That would make 6 PCs on the network.

Slap me, I'm getting enthusiastic and I still have 2 spare ports on the hub AND there's another redundant PII 266 box sitting in the front office... TWO fileservers, maybe?

Nah, that would be silly, then I'd need a switchbox for the monitors.








I wonder what a switchbox costs these days...?