
:: Sunday, July 23, 2006
Going gaga
Until tonight, I had never heard of Paul Rodgers. If I hadn't googled the name, I wouldn't know that he is known for past glories with bands such as Free and Bad Company, even though I know of both bands. In the words of Bob Seger "wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then" cos I'm sitting here listening to him on TV doing a stint upfront of Queen and it seriously sux. Sux sux sux. Song after song after song hacked to a mutilated death with a very blunt knife. I mean, that's how bad it is; it's pushed me into VERY BAD GRAMMAR.
OK, so filling Freddie's shoes was always going to be a job of Superman-sized proportions, but I cannot begin to understand how the boys from Queen can go ahead and put this guy upfront on stage. George Michael, now he would have made a decent replacement if they really HAD to perform live concerts, but at least he can (almost) hit Freddie's high notes and is gay, which would have once more put a queen up front of Queen. But Paul Rodgers? 1 out of 10 for fitness for the job, 10 out of 10 for disappointment.
:-(
Listen, can you hear it? It's Freddie's ashes spinning in the wind.
"Was that the trees a-rustling? Or the hinges of the gate?
Or Ernie's ghostly gold tops a-rattling in their crate?"

OK, so filling Freddie's shoes was always going to be a job of Superman-sized proportions, but I cannot begin to understand how the boys from Queen can go ahead and put this guy upfront on stage. George Michael, now he would have made a decent replacement if they really HAD to perform live concerts, but at least he can (almost) hit Freddie's high notes and is gay, which would have once more put a queen up front of Queen. But Paul Rodgers? 1 out of 10 for fitness for the job, 10 out of 10 for disappointment.
:-(
Listen, can you hear it? It's Freddie's ashes spinning in the wind.
"Was that the trees a-rustling? Or the hinges of the gate?
Or Ernie's ghostly gold tops a-rattling in their crate?"



