:: Saturday, April 09, 2005

Eclipse me, baby


Sunrise this morning brought us a rare opportunity to see an annular eclipse. And, typically, we missed it because of heavy cloud.

Only a band on the eastern horizon, though. We didn't bother to trek over to the beach to watch the sun rise.

I am bummed.

I cleaned up Reg's welding helmet last night, ready for safe viewing this morning. I even smoked some jars so we would all have something to look through; you can't fit 4 people into one welding mask, after all. That smacks of Billy Connolly's Big Slipper, the super duper family sized one. Almost as funny as his "Womens demands".

It could have looked like this (the eclipse, not the slipper, dummy):


it would more likely have looked like this:


Unfortunately, because this was our horizon this morning, it looked like this:


Billy, of course, looks like this:


I guess we will have to wait for the partial eclipse of the moon on October 17.

PS - smoking jars ain't half as much fun as smoking other stuff.

A few more eclipse shots from Finland.

"and everything under the sun is in tune
but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

Pink Floyd - Eclipse