:: Sunday, September 25, 2005

She said, gravely.


Did you know that there are thousands (which probably represent millions) of people out there have a thing for cemeteries?

No shit, there sre so many sites on the internet that link to sites that link them to other sites of databases and links to sites about cemeteries, it's not funny.

In fact, it's a very grave situation.

That's not funny; I knew that. You can stop groaning.

I like cemeteries, I think they are cool. But then, you know this already, dear and gentle reader from all those previous references to our cemetery in previous enthralling blogger entries so I shan't bore you with another pic of it now. (Besides, I can't remember which server the pic is on and I can't be bothered hunting it down tonight).

My liking of cemeteries starts with memories of a book at primary school about Norsemen and Vikings and longboats and a barrow containing a buried king and his ship and raping and pillaging. Only it wasn't referred to as raping and pillaging, more like fighting and robbery; c'mon, it was a book for 8 year olds.

But back to the barrow, it showed these pictures of rural Britain with these great Neolithic barrows lying across the landscape and not only did I want to go there, but I always wondered... "what would you find in there with a really big bulldozer?"



Oh, I think I just realised where Adam gets his digger fetish from.

If you dig deep enough into any culture, pretty much anywhere in the world, it seems there are only three things that are really celebrated; hatches, matches and dispatches and only the dispatches are usually immortalised by a tangible reminder that Joe Blogger Was Here. Some are spartan, some are grand, some are lavish, some are plain. Some buried in wood, some burned in flames and some laid to rest in little cities of burial tombs like this

and mostly held in reverence.

My curiosity is piqued one more time. It would have been cool, for a bit, to trot around the world and look at cemeteries. I guess it could get dead boring after a while, though.