:: Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Stumbling, to a complete stop


I stumbled on a marvellous site tonight, and at this rate I might never stumble anywhere else ever again.

It's Project Gutenberg.

This has got to be the epitome of the answer to the online bibliophiles question of "I wonder where I can get a copy of "Apocolocyntosis" by Lucius Annaeus Seneca; "Les aventures de M. Colin-Tampon" by Jules Girardin, or even Homer's "Odyssey" (Homer as in Greek, not Simpson, do try harder).

You can start small with the Top 100 Titles and Authors and work your way up if you don't think you are up to the excitement your first time.

One of my earliest pieces of classical reading was a seventh century B.C history book called "The Odyssey" by the Greek author Homer. It's a wee yarn about the brilliant and sexy, yet prideful muscleman Odysseus, a real man's man who has seen Troy ransacked and burnt to the ground and the troubles he met taking the long way home from the war; among them a chick having a really bad-hair day (even before she met her Perseus); an enchantresss who thought all men were swine (and they were, when she had finished with them), and a really one-eyed troglodyte called Polyphemus who had a thing for sheep.

Well, anyway, when I was a teenager I used to have a Reader's Digest Special Edition which incuded The Odyssey in it, and I read it many times. I had managed not to lose it for years, but was thinking a few weeks ago that I hadn't seen it in a very long time and started searching for a new copy to replace it. I think Heather should read it - might have to wait until after she finished "Trinity" by Leon Uris.

Anyway, I spent Sunday cleaning up Heather's room, an unbelievable marathon taking 6 hours, 7 loads of washing and 8 bags of rubbish (for a break I pushed the go-kart around the paddock and dug the side off the mound of woodchips to get the go-kart back in the gate, after first attempting to lift and carry the damn thing over the pile) but did not find her missing school uniform jersey which was the reason I even dared to set a foot in her door in the first place. There are some places no sane woman goes and a 14 year old's bedroom is one of them.

In other words, I had a very busy day. And then, with all that washing waiting to be folded now, the new cleaner doesn't show up for the second time in a row. I'm not happy - I overdid things so much that I can hardly walk, and ended up doing her job as well. But what made all the hours slaving worth while was finding my copy of The Odyssey in her room, still in good condition and obviously unread by her.

What amuses me, is that Stumble took me to the very site that I could download a copy from.

Then, later, I stumbled to another Odyssey site.

I just love co-incidence - I can roll in it for hours and never smell bad. That's always a bonus.

Seriously gotta wonder about that Gorgonzola cheese now, dontcha?