
:: Wednesday, April 13, 2005
Just one of those things
Housework is one of those things that most people love to hate. There is nothing particularly satisfying about cleaning. The trouble is that while you spend your life regretting the need to do housework at the expense of pursuing activities you do enjoy, it's simply another looping chore (especially when the kids can mess it up faster than you can tidy it up) and once you are no longer able to physically cope with the job, then you would give your right arm to be able to do it.
And that goes for just about anything, really.
We blew a lightbulb in the laundry last week, and every time I went in there and needed to use it, Adam was asleep and I couldn't get on the chair to change it. Finally, I remembered in time the other night, but the bulb was old and separated from the cap and came apart with some of it still in the socket. It was so badly stuck in there that Reg had to come down and change it for me - and managed to rip the whole fitting out of the ceiling whilst attempting to do it.
The minor chore became the major mission.
I hate that.
grrrrrrrr
Irie has been helping me prune (ok destroy) my garden back into shape. A couple of months or so ago, we started the driveway gardens. Yesterday we completed weeding, laying plastic and spreading Adam's woodchips on it and rebuilt the garden wall. Well, she mostly did - I sat and did my supervisor bit and got growled at every time I moved.
Today, we've done the big garden under the kitchen and dining room windows, removed the ivy and the fatsias, dealt to the convulvulous and the wandering jew, even moved all Reg's junk into a tidy pile somewhere else. No wonder I'm shattered, and I only did a little bit of it (but there is something inherently enjoyable about annihilating ivy from house walls. Maybe it's the destructive aspect I love).
I'm also 3/4 of the way through the spring cleaning, thanks to Heather's missing jersey. Did you know, spending 2 hours sitting and crawling around on the floor to tidy up and vacuum the back hallway is not only vastly over-rated, but leg-numbingly immobilising as well?
So why the Hell didn't you tell me?
Now I'm off to clear the boxes of computer bits and junk in the laundry - then we can fire the big rubbish pile next week.
Nothing like a good burn off to really bring the "primal self" out in one, hmmm? I promise I will take a pic for ya :-)

And that goes for just about anything, really.
We blew a lightbulb in the laundry last week, and every time I went in there and needed to use it, Adam was asleep and I couldn't get on the chair to change it. Finally, I remembered in time the other night, but the bulb was old and separated from the cap and came apart with some of it still in the socket. It was so badly stuck in there that Reg had to come down and change it for me - and managed to rip the whole fitting out of the ceiling whilst attempting to do it.
The minor chore became the major mission.
I hate that.
grrrrrrrr
Irie has been helping me prune (ok destroy) my garden back into shape. A couple of months or so ago, we started the driveway gardens. Yesterday we completed weeding, laying plastic and spreading Adam's woodchips on it and rebuilt the garden wall. Well, she mostly did - I sat and did my supervisor bit and got growled at every time I moved.
Today, we've done the big garden under the kitchen and dining room windows, removed the ivy and the fatsias, dealt to the convulvulous and the wandering jew, even moved all Reg's junk into a tidy pile somewhere else. No wonder I'm shattered, and I only did a little bit of it (but there is something inherently enjoyable about annihilating ivy from house walls. Maybe it's the destructive aspect I love).
I'm also 3/4 of the way through the spring cleaning, thanks to Heather's missing jersey. Did you know, spending 2 hours sitting and crawling around on the floor to tidy up and vacuum the back hallway is not only vastly over-rated, but leg-numbingly immobilising as well?
So why the Hell didn't you tell me?
Now I'm off to clear the boxes of computer bits and junk in the laundry - then we can fire the big rubbish pile next week.
Nothing like a good burn off to really bring the "primal self" out in one, hmmm? I promise I will take a pic for ya :-)



